“As someone who takes kids on curriculum-related field trips on average of 10 times per week, the experience you and your colleagues provided for the 2nd graders was truly excellent.
The farm tour explained the “whys” and “hows” of urban farming and was lead by the people who actually do the work. Their passion and commitment was evident and they were excellent teachers. The compost area and “how to” lesson really explained the process in a scientific, thoughtful, and age-appropriate way. The discussion about soil and its importance put the students’ study of the subject in a larger context and gave a powerful relevance to what they had been learning in school.
This morning, many of the 2nd grade parents told me their children talked last night about the farm visit and shared what they had learned with much enthusiasm! “
— L. Sommers, Capitol Hill Day School
About Group Tours/School Field Trips:
ECO City Farms welcomes all types of group tours and school field trips to our farms for a fun and educational experience. These trips can be a simple general farm tour, or be a more specialized lesson in compost, pollinators, growing food, to name a few.
Here is a list of important logistical notes regarding a tour/field trip…
- Audiences can be as young as kindergarten/first grade, through high school, college, and beyond.
- Trips are usually 1 hour, but can be lengthened if desired (note that in the Form)
- These trips are not Volunteer opportunities. Group volunteer opportunities are arranged on an as-needed basis, depending on the farm’s needs. See our Volunteering page for more information and how to schedule a work trip.
- We require at least 2 weeks notice to plan a trip.
- We require at least 1 chaperone for every 15 students under 18 years of age.
- We charge $50 for every 15 people, per hour. For example, 1-15 people is $50, while 16-30 people is $100. This is because we need a staff person available for every 15 people. Full payment is due the day of the trip.
- Port Towns Groups/Schools! There is a 50% discount for your group. Please indicate this on the Form.
To register for a trip, please fill out this Form and then someone will respond to you to confirm the trip.
If you have any questions, please contact Kayla Agonoy: firstname.lastname@example.org.
See a photo gallery of recent school trips to the farm.