Montgomery Countryside Alliance (MCA) is involved in the effort to start a Food Council that will work to strengthen our local food system. The Council will consist of all local food stakeholders- Farmers, Consumers, Retail Outlets, Farmers Markets, Local Government, Civic Organizations, Restaurants, and others.
Coordinator for Food Council – Montgomery County, MD
Seeking a part time program coordinator to assist in the formation of a new Food Council in Montgomery County, Maryland. The position will be responsible for supporting an existing Food Policy Advisory Board as it creates the council. Candidates should have well-rounded experience working in the non-profit arena – in addition to normal office work (personal communications, database maintenance, etc.), job responsibilities will include media relations, attendance at political meetings, grant writing, coalition building, website and social media management, and other related activities. The ideal candidate should have the following qualifications:
* A passion for and experience with local and sustainable food issues and advocacy
* Experience working in issue advocacy campaigns, or related organizing experience
* Experience with fundraising; specific experience with grant writing preferred
* Strong writing and speaking skills
* Excellent interpersonal relation skills
* Facility with Microsoft Office and other online tools (including social media and basic website maintenance)
* Ability to travel within Montgomery County (must have own transportation)
Specific duties of the position will include, but are not limited to:
* setting up a database and merging contact info
• setting up a mail merge
• maintaining contact with the advisory board and setting up meetings
• attending community and private meetings
• acting as a laison and taking notes at said meetings
• developing and maintaining a website and social media platforms
• fundraising, including grantwriting, individual solicitations and online fundraising
The Montgomery Food Council Coordinator will work from a home office or preferred location, but must live in Montgomery County and be able to attend meetings or appointments as necessary in the county. The position will run from Sept. 15 – December 31, 2011; payment is $12,500 for that period. Advancement to a permanent and/or full time position is possible beginning in 2012.
To apply, click here to visit MCA’s website for details on how to apply.